Without sufficient water our bodies become dehydrated, which causes a whole lot of health problems such as headaches, decreased urination, heart strain, heatstroke, constipation, kidney stones, weight gain, coma and death.
There are many reasons to ensure that you drink water on a regular basis, including:
- Brain – Drinking water helps your brain to work better, thereby allowing you to do complex calculations or study more easily.
- Digestion – You need to drink water in order for your body to digest the food you eat and break it down into waste which is vacated via the colon. Not drinking sufficient water can result in constipation.
- Fatigue – Instead of drinking a cup of coffee when you are feeling tired, rather reach for a big glass of refreshing water.
- Hangovers – Drinking water before going partying will prevent hangovers and dehydration, especially if you also drink water between drinking alcohol.
- Immune System – Drinking water is vital for our immune system, so that we can ward off illness.
- Kidneys – The kidneys process about 230 litres of blood daily, filtering out waste and transporting urine to the bladder; they need a constant supply of water to do this.
- Maintaining Fluid Balance – Drinking water regularly throughout the day ensures that you maintain the 60%-75% balance of fluids in your body which are necessary so oxygen and nutrients can be transported to all areas of your body; help regulate the body’s temperature and more.
- Muscles – Muscles need water to grow and work properly – when we do not drink enough water our muscles cannot function properly.
- Pain Prevention – Drinking water regularly prevents pain because water encompasses your joints, cushioning them from harm, lubricating them so that they move easily and preventing muscle cramps and strains.
- Skin – Drinking water regularly will help flush toxins out of your body that clog your pores or inflame your skin, keeping it elastic and plump. Drinking water is also one of the best ways to avoid and fight acne.